Can’t you smell that smell?
Many people have high ammonia levels. Having the CBS mutation can often cause problems that leads to high ammonia. Often this comes from processing excess amino acids whether these comes from ingesting a lot of protein, extreme exercise (which breaks down protein) or bacterial oxidation of amino acids.
The Urea Cycle normally takes the ammonia formed and turns it into urea for removal. This occurs in the liver and the rate is increased with greater amounts of ornithine, citrulline, or arginine. ( Must be careful of L-arginine if there viral issues, careful of ornithine if ornithine carbamoyl-transferase deficiency is a problem)
- FOS breaks down ammonia, so this could be taken as a supplement. Generally it’s good to get bowels moving so there are no elimination issues leading to an ammonia “backup”. Larch Arabinogalactan is another prebiotic used to lower ammonia.
- Much of the conversion of ammonia happens in the liver, so general liver tonics like silymarin will be helpful. As will drinking water with lemon in it. Zinc Deficiency also been found to lower the level of ammonia in the body.
- L Butyrate has been known to lower ammonia. BH4 will also lower ammonia and MTHFR A1298C must be working to create the BH4…thanks Methyl Folate for filling in!
- Lacatalose, is a synthetic sugar that lowers ammonia but also hinders electrolytes, so these must be watched if you and your doctor decide to go this way.
- Biotin has been shown to reduce ammonia in rat and mice. It may do so through the L-glutamate + NH3—-L-glutamine path.
- Manganese is often depleted trying to detoxify ammonia, so if you have the CBS mutation you might want to take more of this mineral.
- BH4 helps to detoxify ammonia so if you have the A1298C mutation, you might want to address this aspect.
Process Blood Test in 20 minutes or less of your draw. Taking more than a couple of hours will cause the ammonia in the cells to leak out and give a false elevated reading. So this means you cannot necessarily go to Labcorp or Quest. You may have to go to a hospital where the staff are ready to test the blood immediately.
- Yucca, has been shown to lower ammonia in ruminal bacteria, but it does so by suppressing ciliate protozoa.
- Alpha Ketoglutarate has been shown to reduce ammonia, but the study that demonstrated this was done on hemodialysis patients. Yet it still helps many people.
- Viagra. !! Indeed it has been shown to be neuroprotecive and reduce ammonia levels…in rats.
I hope this helps!